No arrests after 5-hour standoff in Easley

By D. C. Moody

February 21, 2014

EASLEY — Anderson County deputies were called to 215 Maycaw Drive in Easley last Thursday following a 911 call reporting a break-in that led to what was believed a standoff for more than five hours.

Allison Taffer, one of the home’s residents, was on the scene during the deputies’ attempts to clear the home.

“My son and I pulled in around 3:15, just like every day after school, and we noticed the freezer door in the garage standing open,” Taffer explained. “There wasn’t any standing water anywhere and we thought it was strange, but I never thought there might be someone in the house.”

Taffer said it didn’t take her or her son long to realize something was amiss.

“The back door was standing open and I knew someone had at least been in the house,” she said. “We walked through and I noticed my jewelry box was missing and the flat screen TV, but when we heard an interior door close, that’s when we went out the front.”

There were two calls placed to 911 in relation to the break-in, including Taffer’s original call during her search of the home, which she believed to reveal the residence empty.

“I called to report that we had been robbed, that the house had been broken into,” Taffer said. “I told the operator the house was clear because I thought it was. It wasn’t until I heard the door close that we ran out and knew somebody was still inside.”

The door Taffer is referring to is an interior door she heard close while she and her son were inspecting the residence.

As a result of the noise, Taffer and her son ran from their home through the front door leading onto the lawn, and before being able to look back, she reports she heard the door close behind them.

“Once we got out into the yard, out of the house, I heard the front door close behind us, which meant the door I heard close inside wasn’t just the wind from the back door being open,” Taffer related. “Once the front door closed behind us, we ran to our neighbors and dialed 911 again.”

During the standoff, Taffer seemed at ease where most would be tense considering the circumstances.

“I’m just glad we got out safe,” she explained, looking at her son. “The rest of it, it’s all just stuff and can be replaced. We didn’t get hurt, and we’re extremely blessed.”

As for Anderson County deputies, Taffer was pleased with their response and the care taken on the scene.

“They got here pretty quick after I called the second time,” she said. “There was already a deputy headed out after I called the first time, even though I tried to tell them I thought the house was empty. Once we got out, it didn’t take long at all before they arrived.”

Although Taffer and her son had been standing in a neighbor’s drive for several hours waiting for some resolution and the chance to go home, they weren’t worried about what you may think.

“We’re hungry. We’ve been standing out here for a long time,” Taffer chuckled. “If we could get something to eat I think it’ll all work out fine.”

There was immense speculation as to whether an intruder remained in the home and if so where they could be hiding, but in the end the speculation was pointless. Deputies eventually cleared the home and determined the residence was empty, the search spilling over into a small wooded area adjacent to the property. Hostage negotiators, K-9 units, and SWAT all participated in the incident.